Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

So Much Fun to Sew!

Here I am already on Episode #107 of 'The Quilt Show' and I started with Ricky's demo of making folded flying geese. Happily the video demo is on the daily blog of 'The Quilt Show' so anyone can see it! Ricky and Alex were right- they are fun to sew!

First I tried the size that Ricky demonstrated but I like things a bit smaller so I cut 2- 2" squares and 1 2"x3-1/2" rectangle to make a goose that finishes at 1-1/2" x 3". I liked the smaller size and thought it would be perfect for this project. So I started to sew and it WAS fun. It was like a little surprise was waiting for you at the end when you started to press your finished geese.

One thing to make sure of though is that you pin those little loose tips down before sewing them- they are really slippery little devils! And watch that iron tip too. More than once I got mine caught under a fold.



See how cute these pockets are! I would not make these for a quilt you want to use to cuddle under but for a wall hanging it is great. The geese really stand out because you don't quilt them- you just quilt the background.


And finally the finished quilt... it measures about 13" x 20".


If you like this then check out the Moda Bakeshop version 'Loosey Goosey in 3D' that uses charm squares. It is quite a large Flying geese block but it is fun to see what they do.


Now I have been really debating the project that Jean Wells does on this episode. It is cute but not really a new technique to me and not really something I want to do. I did do a bit of thinking though and thought if I was to do it I would pick a theme. I remember my Mom had a pattern for small paper pieced light houses...that would be fun...or how about tiny log cabin variations or hearts or sewing room things...

So I just decided as I wrote this that I am off to the next episode - #108

And it is time to get my blocks together for Strawberry Fields Quiltalong!

Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love these little 3D geese. I am going to go through my stash tomorrow and see how many charm packs I have and then make the Moda Bakeshop version.... thanks for the inspiration Ann, you always do such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh we're supposed to be making these for our quilt guild block of the month swap

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I saw this episode, too...maybe on youtube (?). It's on my ever growing to do list. Looks like fun!!

    ReplyDelete