Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Summer Cleaning

Summer has been hot and dry here and there has not been much sewing going on. Our air conditioning is not working and until the part we need arrives that means most days there is NO way I have been wanting to turn on an iron.

I've basted 3 more quilts so that is 4 quilts that need machine quilting. Another case of there being NO way I'm going to sit with a warm quilt on top of me. And a reminder to self...do not get such a backlog of quilts to finish ever again. It seems a bit overwhelming!


I finished another round on my hexagons. The next section I'll be starting is a row of neutral, then color (blue for this round) and then neutral again. The rounds just keep getting bigger but this is still pretty small. It is just 16" across! 


I arranged my courthouse steps blocks on my design wall. Here are all the rows organized to sew together! It took a bit of rearranging but I finally got it to a point where it had the look I was wanting. I can't wait for a cooler day so I can turn on my iron!


I made this tote bag and gave it away to a friend! I know she will enjoy it. 
It turned out wonderful! 


And I had picked up this cute little butterfly pattern thinking it would be sweet wall hanging on my condo door. Again it was the case of I can't on my iron because it is so hot but I got into my sewing room really early in the morning one day last week and got them fused. 


I buttonhole stitched all around and all that is left is the cute little antenna's! 
This is a great project for a charm pack! 
There are enough butterflies for two little quilts! I wonder who will get the second one?


I hope I actually get it done while summer is still here. Fall is showing up everywhere in the stores reminding me that it is not far away!

And I've also been slowly stitching away on my applique quilt. I am almost finished the second border. As I've been stitching I've been planning a bit of embroidery to add to it, and maybe a bit of beading as well. I'll get a photo next time to show!

Happy Stitching!  


Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Paper piecing leap of faith!

150 courthouse steps blocks are done! Whew! Here is the last of them.



I'm trying this new product from Quilters Select. It says you don't have to remove the sheets and they will soften when washed. Did I try a test sample? No! I'm having a leap of faith. These blocks are so small that it will only be a wall hanging a bit less than 30" x 45" so I am not concerned with the 'cuddle' factor! 



After completing these last blocks I decided I had better baste down the edges before trimming. I used a water soluble thread because once I start piecing the blocks together I may want to remove some of the outer edge of the backing paper that is in the seam allowance. Water soluble thread will be so easy to remove!

Here is a block all basted and trimmed! 

And here are many blocks trimmed.


Next step is to get my portable design wall out and start arranging.

I am loving this! 

Happy Stitching!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Progress!

I've been busy but have managed to squeeze in some sewing and prepping!

Here is part of my next border pinned down on my whimsical flowers quilt! 
It has me thinking...do I do embroidery? Do I add texture with big stitching and perle cotton? Do I add beads? Too many decisions! 


And another 10 courthouse steps blocks have been sewn!


 I took a bit of time to pin up the groups of blocks so that I could see what colors I need more of. I still have about 50 blocks to go!


I finished off a punch needle project. The pattern was from the Spring 2012 Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine. It still needs to be antiqued and framed but I am undecided about the antiquing - Do I do a little? A lot? None? 


Finally I filled my case for making my little hexagons.


 I'm just cutting little squares. 


And then when I baste I just trim the corners off.


It's a pretty easy way to do it. 

Now I have enough to get my next round done - 24 little flowers all around! 

Happy Stitching!



Sunday, June 18, 2017

Another round of hexagons!

I was at my dad's house again this week for a few days so out came the hexagons! 


This round was actually 3 rows of hexagons (neutral, green and neutral) that I sewed together and added to each side. I didn't take a picture but I will next time. The next round will be all flowers! 

And this trip I took my applique quilt. I finished one border this week.


I will have a few more pieces such as leaves to fill in the borders later. I plan to do some embroidery as well and thought I should add more applique to the border once I have figured out the embroidery. I am going for a whimsical look. So if it works out there will be embroidery and maybe some beading. The quilt will be big stitched in a variety of colors! 
I can't wait to get started on the embellishing but first I had better get the appliques done!  

Happy Stitching!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

New Hexagon Project

I am at my Dad's quite often for a night or two at a time. It is nice to have some kind of handwork to do while I am visiting.  
I decided to start another hexagon project! 
This one is using 3/8" hexagons.



I am replicating the design of an antique quilt I saw on Pinterest. 
It is from a collection of quilts at the Wales National Museum  
Click on the name to see other pieces in their collection!

couverture de table de Patchwork:

Isn't it fabulous!!! Definitely a long term project!

And my tuffet is in use. 


I love it so much that I am planning the second one. I might try it in leather or wool from old men's jackets. Time to start looking at the thrift stores to see what I can find. The foam I used in this one was very dense so I didn't make it as rounded as the pattern showed. This suits me wonderfully.

Happy Stitching!