Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Leaving it to the Last Minute...

I am not usually a person to leave things to the last  minute but spring is in the air and March flew by so quickly. As I looked at the calendar this morning I realized  it was the last day to get my FMQ challenge done and posted. I had lots of inspiration this month. I was flipping through some old Fons and Porter magazines and noticed that there are lots of ideas for free motion quilting and a section devoted to it! What a great resource...


This month was all about playing with the thread and the design and learning from that play. I used Mettler Quilting thread for this sample but I tried 3 different bobbin threads. What a great way to learn to play with your tension. Every bobbin thread needed some adjustment.

I really just let myself go. I  loved the spirals that I did. They were easy and so much fun. I think they will become a regular design for me. Thanks Ann Fahl for the great tutorial and inspiration.



I also discovered that I really like flowers. I tried lots of different ones and I think I will have to play a bit with a sketch pad. And of course you can't have a flower without a leaf or two, so I had better practice with those too.



Here is another section of the quilting I had fun with- just simple stars and loops.


I often do quilting that isn't really tight together so I played a bit with that as well. I found the smaller designs I will need to practice a bit because I needed to change my speed of the machine a bit to get slightly smaller stitches. 

This is such a great challenge!

Happy Stitching!



1 comment:

  1. Well done Ann. I love your March challenge fmq. Your flowers, stars and spirals are really funky and totally cool.

    ReplyDelete