Pages

Monday, March 4, 2019

Basting and basting and basting!

I was heading to my dad's the other day for a visit and winter made me turn around and come home. There was near zero visibility at times. I have been lucky this winter that the weather has co-operated up until February. 

So this unexpected time at home made me think it was the perfect time to start some quilt basting.

I set up my tables and got busy. I pin basted the next three sections for my pineapple quilt ( I still have two sections left but ran out of safety pins.) 


And I thread basted my jelly roll nine patch for big stitching. The picture does not do it justice! It is going to finish close to 60" x 72". It almost didn't fit on my table!


After I had it basted I previewed a couple of quilting stencils I had. I am wanting an all over pattern in the center and a different border. Here is one idea but I'm also thinking feathers may be fun. I'm not sure with big stitch if the pattern will be effective with feathers though. The feathers will probably have to be a bit larger.


I also finished sewing the tumblers together in long strips. I'll be alternating them with solid strips. I have to play in my stash a bit to see what color I would like. 


And I started a new pair of socks. I've been knitting almost every morning lately while I have my morning coffee. I am finding it quite relaxing and enjoyable.  This colorway is beautiful- it looks like  stormy day. 


Now I have to go find my thimble and big stitch needles!

Happy Stitching!



1 comment:

  1. The pineapples look great! Wish I could loan you my box of safety pins so you could get them all basted up.
    I like the idea of the clamshells on your 9-patch and something different on the border, whether it is the rope design or feathers.
    Using a strip of fabric between the rows of tumblers is a great idea. I made a bed-size tumbler quilt once--wish I had heard of that idea then. I got very tired of sewing tumblers. :)

    ReplyDelete