Pages

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Round and around and around...

I've been interested in trying some spiral quilting with the walking foot. I have a stack of quilts (is 4 quilts a stack?) basted and ready for machine quilting so here goes one! I am trying it out on my ugly squares quilt that will become my napping quilt this fall! Here is the start...so far so good.


Since it is so scrappy I decided to use up leftover machine quilting thread from previous projects. Here is the first one. It lasted a long time. There was more on the spool than I imagined.


This is the beginning of day 2 quilting a BIG spiral!


And thread number two.


And thread number three.


And what was left when I was finished the morning of day 3! 


Here is just the middle area of the quilt after it was quilted. It was a slow process but I am thrilled with the results! Would I do it again? YES! YES! YES!
What did I learn? 
 Go slow- you need to keep shifting your quilt around frequently. 
Take frequent breaks - you'll become mesmerized by the quilting and you'll start to drift from your path. 
Start small - this quilt is 72" square - a big one to start with but still very doable!


Now I just need to get binding on it. 
I can't wait to get it washed and ready for a nap!

And I have another UFO on the go. I have each row done so now I just have to sew those together. And you can't really see that first column as it is covered with sticky notes so I know what the row is. 


I can't wait to get this done! But first I want to get another quilt quilted. Three to go! 

Happy Stitching!







No comments:

Post a Comment