Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Retreat quilt and GO!

This quilt is getting big! When it is finished it will be about 90"x100". And it is not so easy to layout for piecing.


I sew in an attic with sloped ceilings so there is really not room for a large design wall or a small one for that matter. My design wall is a space on my floor and in this case was just large enough to hold 2 rows at a time. I moved furniture in the living room to take a picture of 4 rows done.

By tonight I did get all six rows done, so all that is left is to sew those rows together! I am really liking this quilt and I am fairly certain I am going to Big Stitch it with perle cotton. As soon as it is together I`ll start throwing embroidery floss all over it to pick a color. How many balls will I need? At least 10 and maybe up to 15. That is a lot of perle cotton. I'll be using a traditional fan pattern for the quilting. I think that circular motion of the fan will really complement the different sizes of the churn dash. This is a good winter project and hopefully it will be on my bed by summer! But I may need some luck for that.

******

So how does a person resist all the excitement of the Accuquilt GO! ?
All over blogland there are VERY excited people. I supposed I should state, for the record, that I am not buying a GO! and I have not even tried to win one. But the temptation is strong. Everywhere I look there are giveaways, tutorials and show and tell. So is anyone else trying to resist? Or is it just me?

Happy stitching!

3 comments:

  1. I love your quilt! It will be fantastic to quilt it with the big stitch.
    I'e entered exactly one time to win a Go and decided I really don't want one. The enjoyment for me is choosing fabric, cutting fabric and piecing fabric. I'm not in a race and don't need to have a super cutter!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not interested in a GO. Don't you have to purchase templates in addition to the machine? Expensive new gotta have gadget for some people I guess. Love your quilt Ann. The big stitch will look great, especially for this old traditional pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your predicament about not having space for a design wall. I'm hoping that when I move my "studio" downstairs I will have some more space.

    The quilt top is beautiful and I am sure the finished quilt will also amaze!

    As far as the GO is concerned, half my fun comes from cutting (and re-cutting the oops'), so I will not be looking to get one any time soon.

    ReplyDelete