Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Dear Blog, I'm Sorry for Neglecting You

Yes I have been neglecting my blog and yes I have catching up to do!

It all started when my sewing machine died...it was just a belt but it took a while to get it fixed and it was a traumatic experience for me! 

After Christmas I was ready to get my UFO's under control. I had a plan...but when my sewing machine had to get repaired that plan took a back seat. I do have a spare machine but it is small and it wasn't going to handle the  big projects I had in my UFO pile. 

So I made more UFO's (insert sigh here). This was the first new UFO. Looking for something to work on I flipped through some old magazines and looked through some of my precuts. I discovered that I had 2 layer cakes exactly the same. I guess I must have really liked the fabric line and that would be enough to make a lap quilt. This is what I made-  it was Jo Morton fabric. I still have to get it basted and ready for quilting but for now it's at the bottom of my UFO pile.



But an interesting thing happened during my cutting. I don't always use starch but I decided to starch the layer cakes before cutting. I discovered they weren't square anymore after starching. They had shrunk in one direction and what I would consider a lot for a 10" square. 

The bottom piece is not starched so you can see the shrinkage. I was shocked by it actually!


This one I sprayed the top piece with just water and pressed dry. That shrunk just as much as the starched piece.



I've been a pre-washer most of my quilting life because I have had fabrics run in the past and I've had colors bleed in a quilt. Now I'll be a pre-washer for shrinkage too! 

Now that my sewing machine is back home, I'll be getting back on that UFO busting plan. 

Happy Stitching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment