I finished a new Christmas stocking for my sister-in-law this week. I knitted her last one many, many years ago and because my brother insisted on stuffing it TOO FULL and I could not repair it, a new stocking was needed. I used as inspiration, a table runner pattern from American Patchwork and Quilting magazine from December 2007.
For a project like this I like to use cotton batting as a stabilizer for the machine buttonhole stitch. I also like my tension adjusted so that the stitches are pulled slightly to the back, making sure that the tension isn't causing your stitches to pucker.
I like the way my stitches look with this adjustment.
My backs are a mess now that I have a sewing machine that locks the stitches. I am so glad no one sees this part of the finished stocking! I used to pull my threads to the back, tie and trim them but now I just pull the back thread a bit, clip the top thread and leave the mess at the back. A little lazy of me I think!
Next I machine appliqued the heel and toe and added some trim to 'pretty' it up a bit.